WHERE TO DIVE
Diving Holidays in Africa
Wherever you go in this part of the World, you are assured of great diving. Marine life is the brightest and most colourful anywhere, and warm, clear waters make it a region not to miss out on.
WHY WE LOVE DIVING IN AFRICA
Beautiful reefs, amazing marine life and on our doorstep!
The Red Sea in particular is still the best there is!
Land based or live-aboard - the choices are immense.
The Red Sea of Egypt and Sudan or the megafauna of Mozambique... there's just so much to see!
Diving in Africa
Egypt and the Red Sea are one of our most popular destinations. Hurghada is an excellent destination, and way down in the South, Marsa Alam and Sharm el Sheikh deliver the goods - all these resorts are easily reached with a great choice of direct flights, and indirect options too. Equidistant between the Hurghada and Marsa Alam is El Quseir, home of our very favourite short-haul dive base, Roots Red Sea. We have been working with Roots for many many years, and just love it there!
With our selection of liveaboards, there is pretty much everything to satisfy the avid wreck diver too, as the Red Sea is the final resting place to some of the most famous (and least known) wrecks there are - The Thistlegorm for one appears in just about every Wreck Divers Top 10 list.
In the southern Red Sea there is Sudan. The coastline and the coral reefs here are fascinating. Many areas are still untouched, and rarely visited making Sudan a very surprising and mysterious scuba destinations.
In South Africa there is Mozambique, with excellent year round diving with a variety of exciting itineraries that can be organised. Dolphins, manta rays, sharks, turtles, huge schools of kingfish, giant lobsters and numerous spices of reef fish are commonly seen. The whale shark, the largest fish in the world which can reach lengths of up to 14m and weigh up to 15 tons, can be spotted between December and April. And humpback whales are often found along the coastline between June and September.
Explore our favourite diving destinations
- Originally constructed in 2001 Big Blue has been completely dismantled and rebuilt as a new vessel to modern day design and specifications. This luxury liveaboard is owned and operated by our friends at Roots Red Sea and Pharaoh Divers.
- For years, Sharm el Sheikh has been the ‘go-to’ place for UK divers – after all, it is where our sport started! Only five hours away from the UK, with flights departing from most regional airports, Sharm offers a guarantee of sunshine for one, phenomenal diving, and great value for money.
- Marsa Alam is a great location for both learners and experienced divers, with a range of trips from shallow wrecks and bays to world class Elphinstone.
- Our top pick for accommodation in El Quseir Egypt. We call Roots Red Sea "A Liveaboard on Land"
- Emperor Elite is spacious, custom-designed and a popular choice. At 38 metres, she accommodates a maximum of 26 guests in a variety of cabins including the fabulous double Junior Suite which gives amazing panoramic views of the Red Sea.
- Scuba diving in this region takes place on the reefs between Ponta do Ouro, Ponta Malongane and Ponta Mamoli which offers some of the best shark diving and reef diving in Mozambique.
- Emperor Echo is a star of the Emperor Red Sea fleet and underwent a stunning refurbishment in 2022. Echo easily accommodates 25 guests and has a spacious and contemporary saloon, restaurant and lounging areas.
- Corasiida Guest House sits right on Tofo Beach. From the Guesthouse, you will have a spectacular view of the whole of Tofo Beach with breath taking sunrises over the ocean and sunsets behind the mangrove and palm trees. © Tofo Scuba
- Emperor Asmaa is designed with the diver in mind, comfortably accommodating 20 people in 10 twin-berth cabins, all ensuite. Really popular with dive groups who enjoy the closeness and atmosphere she radiates
Diving through an underwater wonderland, in the warm, crystal clear ocean Indian Ocean waters of Mozambique and its islands, is a thrilling and rewarding experience. © Tofo Scuba
- At 37 metres long, Emperor Superior has 13 cabins comfortably accommodating 26 divers. All cabins have air-conditioning, ensuite and three towels and a dive robe for each guest.
- ScubaAddicts Dive Resort has awesome views over-looking the ocean and is perfectly situated for scuba diving with sharks and on the reefs of Ponta do Ouro, Ponta Molangane & Ponta Mamoli in Mozambique. © ScubaAddicts
- Tofo has some of the world’s best diving, from encounters with Giant Pacific Mantas and majestic whale sharks to amazing macro life like sea moths, frogfish and seahorses. © Tofo Scuba
- Offering premium luxury on the idyllic Red Sea coast, Il Mercato Hotel & Spa is an exclusive, five-star hotel. It’s located right on Il Mercato Promenade, an enticing shopping and entertainment district in Sharm El-Sheikh. This is, without a doubt, one of the most ultimate hub for shopping, dining and entertainment in all of Egypt – complete with prestigious brands and spectacular scenery.
- The Marina Lodge at Port Ghalib opened as the first hotel in Egypt's newest resort area, Port Ghalib. The hotel is located only minutes away from Marsa Alam International Airport. Decorated in a unique 'Moorish' style, guests have the big advantage of having Emperor Divers boats moored on the jetty in front of the hotel.
- Undoubtedly the favourite short haul destination for the British Diver, the amazing waters of the Red Sea along the coast of Egypt are pristine and full of life.
- This image was captured by Nigel Wade on a Northern Suez Wreck Safari now offered on Big Blue
- Known as the ‘Jewel of the Red Sea’, El Quseir has the reputation of providing the very best shore based diving in the Egyptian Red Sea.
- Set directly on the beach, overlooking the Indian Ocean, Tilak Lodge hopes to be one of your favourite places to stay when diving Tofo Beach in Mozambique.
Our favourite places to visit